Saturday, December 15, 2007

20 Years of Formal Education...

Well, assuming I passed all the finals I took this week, my formal education has now come to a somewhat informal end. It hasn't really hit me yet. Oh, right...maybe that's because I have to frantically study for the next 2 months for the bar exam. Maybe the relief will hit after that (hopefully?).

Really, though, I've had some great experiences in school--from elementary school all the way to law school. I've had wonderful teachers and mentors. If I went back 10 years and had to do college over again, I wouldn't do things exactly the same way--I think that's part of learning...being able to look back and see how you can improve and change. However, I'm satisfied with the way things have turned out. I've been very blessed with opportunities that I never imagined and surely didn't deserve, but I know that the experiences I've had have taught and are teaching me important lessons that I need to learn to be a better person.

Truth be told, I've forgotten most of the things I've read in books or heard in school, and the countless "facts" that I had once committed to memory aren't always at the ready for my use. I can hardly remember a lot of the things I studied for my exams last week! (seriously) But I think that I have finally somewhat learned 'how to learn' and I've also learned that how much a person knows is most certainly not reflective of their worth as a person in society. Of the people I've met throughout my education--teachers, professors, employers, ecclesiastical leaders, students, mentors, roommates--the people that I admired the most were the ones who cared about other people and cared about what they were doing. Those are the examples that I most want to follow.

4 comments:

howelltree said...

Wow, it's amazing to look at schooling in years like that. I can't believe you are officially done with law school...and done with "school" forever. Of course, like you said, the bar will be looming over you for the next while. The feeling after that is nice, but the best feeling ever is when you get your "passing" results. That is happy right there!!!

I'm sad that we can't be home to see next week. But, hopefully we can make it home before you leave there.

Ryan said...

Great post Ashley! What a marvelous thing to be DONE with school.

JulieB said...

Congrats! So what are you plans when you return to the US? Will you be living in Utah at all? Let me know if you're here, I'd love too see you. I think it's been 2 1/2 years!

JulieB said...

Oops! I just noticed I used "too" instead of "to" in the above. I obviously already don't remember much of my schooling...