Monday, October 15, 2007

Gone With the Wind

Saturday night I went with my roommate and two wonderful Hungarian friends to see the ballet Gone With the Wind at the State Opera House. Yes, ballet. We had great seats in the 5th row and I enjoyed seeing inside the Opera House for the first time.

Gone With the Wind used to be one of my favorite books. I haven't read it in a really long time. Anyway, I like the story. As for the ballet, other than the one harlequin-novel-esque divert-your-eyes scene, the ballet itself was pretty good. The great thing was that the male dancers were wearing very tasteful suits rather than tights, which I greatly appreciated. I think the tights are generally my biggest hang up with ballet. Other than saying I liked the costumes and the set, I feel really unqualified to make any further judgments about the ballet (sorry your money seems to have been wasted on those ballet lessons, mom and dad!).

I will say that my appreciation for more cultured things has come along way in the last 8 years or so. I even watched an opera on video yesterday afternoon. Would I rather go to a ballet than a sports game? Absolutely not. Would I rather see an opera than go to a movie? Probably not. Would I rather go to a museum than go for a bike ride? In most circumstances, no. However, I can at least appreciate the talent and art and enjoy the occasional venturing.

4 comments:

howelltree said...

Yeah, I've never heard of that ballet either. But, I don't understand why you have a problem with the men and their tights.

Glad you're enjoying yourself and the arts. Once again I'll say it...I wish I was there with you to do all those fun things. Maybe we can someday.

Weedpatch said...

I never knew that "Gone With the Wind" was cast as a ballet--but then again, we live in Mesa, Arizona--considered by most Europeans as a vast cultural wasteland. I wonder how they interpreted Rhett's most famous and controversial line (by 1939 standards)--"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!"

Ashley said...

That's funny you mentioned the famous line, because I was hoping during the performance that they would actually include that one speaking line! Unfortunately, it was interpreted instead with orange lights behind silhouettes and a fake slap.

Mom said...

We didn't waste our money on ballet lessons! We just consider it a chance for you to find that you really didn't like it!! Now the clogging...?!!! We loved watching you dance!!!!