Monday, October 15, 2007

Szentendre

On Saturday I wanted to get up and go to this little town called Holloko where they still live old-fashioned, etc., but you have to take a bus there and there is only one bus/day, which I missed. So I opted to go, instead, to this town about 20 miles or so north of Budapest called Szentendre. It is a really old town with quaint cobblestone streets, etc. A few hundred years ago a lot of Serbian refugees went there (I'm not guaranteeing the accuracy of that fact), so a lot of the stuff there is Serbian Orthodox. The weather was beautiful and I had a great time exploring for a few hours. I noticed when I got back that I hadn't taken too many interesting photos, but here are a few:

View of the Danube from the town:














The main square:



















Dead wreath on a church gate...














The graffiti tunnel that inevitably greets you at bus stations in eastern Europe:














Serbian Orthodox Church...there was no one here and I walked around the back and found a kid smoking pot--scared him pretty bad.



















A lot of the walls and buildings seemed in need of a makeover:














The only picture I took of myself there (don't be jealous of my cool outfit, Kristen!):

3 comments:

Mom said...

This looks like a very wonderful place. Dad found a few interesting cities near budapest in our Rick Steves book which finally came. These old European cities have such an appeal to me! Maybe because of our ancestry?

howelltree said...

Oh, no...you mentioned me by name. I'm guessing you think I will be jealous because you are so casual. Did I get it right? Gray and green can match sometimes:) You look great sis!

sleepyhelen said...

The Danube looks so beautiful.