Friday, October 5, 2007

An Ordinary Week

Judging from my failure to report anything in the last week, you can probably guess that nothing too exciting has happened. Last week I was in class for 32 hours and this week I was in class for 34 hours, and it's starting to drain the life out of me. Luckily the work load drops off significantly from here (only 18 hours of class next week and only 14 the week after that), so you can expect much more interesting happenings in the weeks to come.

Despite the grueling class schedule of the past 2 weeks, I'm happy to report that I have started a somewhat regular running schedule again. I consider an exercise schedule to be "regular" if exercise is happening at least 4 days a week, and I've now logged 2 weeks of exercising for 4 days. If I run tomorrow then that makes 5 days this week. I like to imagine that this counterbalances my terrible diet of the past month.

Tonight I went to dinner at a friend's house with a few other people from school. Those in attendance were from Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Romania, and India. We had a great time. A few of my many favorite moments of the night include:
  • Trying to explain what a George Foreman grill was.
  • Learning about Rachel, Nevada.
  • The Croatian attempting to insult the Serbian (in good fun) by telling him that he was complex, when what he meant was that he had a complex.
  • Making banana bread with no baking soda.
  • Grating a whole huge wedge of parmesan.
  • Cramming way too many people in one of the Barbie-sized elevators here.
People here are so accepting and great. In the 2 weeks I've been in school, I've realized how many pre-conceived notions I had about different places and people, and I think it is great to meet new people, learn lots of new things, and realize how ignorant I am. I'm learning more from other students than I am from actual lectures.

More exciting news to come...

(that last sentence can be read in two ways...both are applicable!)

3 comments:

howelltree said...

Just looked up Rachel, Nevada on Wickipedia. Interesting place...never heard of it before. So how and why did your friend have information and/or interest in Rachel?:) You all must have been talking about a lot of random things. Sounds like a great time!

Mom said...

We all have pre-conceived ideas of people from first-impressions,origins, nationalities, work places, etc., etc. I'm glad that you're learning that these things are just facades and the "real" person, when we get to know them, is, many times, a lot different than we thought before hand.

sleepyhelen said...

I'd also like to know how to make banana bread without baking soda.