Yesterday I started going to Bikram Yoga classes with a friend. Follow the link, and you can find out more about it than you probably every wanted to know. You can also see pictures of the studio here in Budapest, which I'm told looks exactly the same as every other studio in the U.S. Basically, the classes are a series of 26 poses, each done twice, taking 90 minutes. It is done in a really hot room; I've heard it called "hot yoga" before--I'd guess that the room is about at 100 degrees. No, I'm not kidding. Forget the fans; bring on the space heaters! (And if you've ever lived with me, you may know just how much I "love" space heaters...oops, did I say love? I mean hate...)
I thought I was going to die during my first class. Obviously, though, I didn't die, and since I committed to 10 days, I'm going to stick it out. After 10 days, I make no promises. But it's been interesting and I'm happy to have a friend to drag me along. I will say that, even if I don't become a hot yoga convert, I will never again say that it is not real exercise!
I also feel like hearing it all in Hungarian is an extra mental exercise--trying to figure out what the heck is going on! Apparently I'm the only newcomer (my friend does it in the U.S.). Luckily, the instructors speak very good English and will generally do the first set in Hungarian and second set in English. Also, it's quite common to hear things like "Toes out, Ash-e-ley"; "Ash-e-ley, lock your knee"; "Spine straight, Ash-e-ley!"; etc. You get the idea...they've zeroed in on me! But they're really helpful and nice.
This is what I look like....ha ha ha (like I could ever get my legs to do that!)
5 comments:
I was thinking you were showing us the leotard (and shorts) you wear.
Yoga is a lot of work. I've heard of the "hot" yoga and I have never had any interest in trying it. I am going to say that I would extremely dislike it. But, let me know how you feel after 10 days and then maybe I will consider it some time. Have fun!
Looks dangerous...like you could get arrested (the instructor, that is).
Oh boy...I didn't notice the first time I saw the picture that the instructor is either:
a) in his birthday suit
or
b) wearing some tiny little shorts that he probably shouldn't be wearing. Yikes.
Hopefully your teacher is a little more clothed. Of course, if it's as hot as I've heard it is in those classes then maybe that's just the necessary measure one must take to stay somewhat cool:)
Is that guy wearing any clothes?
I'm not so interested in whether or not you can do all the poses required... What I'm wondering is if you found yoga attire that rivals that in the picture!
Post a Comment