Saturday, October 6, 2007

Martonvasar

I woke up this morning and it was a beautiful day, so I decided to take advantage of it rather than sitting inside doing my homework. I flipped through my guidebook and decided to go to Martonvasar, a 40 minute train ride south of Budapest. There really is nothing in the town--the train station almost seems abandoned.

The one point of interest is the Brunswick Palace and the grounds. You can't actually go in the Palace, but the grounds were really neat. I wouldn't go back, but it was fun for an afternoon. Here are some pictures with the highlights.

Sitting in the leaves with the Palace in the back:


Apparently Beethoven was a regular visitor to the original palace and gave music lessons to the daughters of the guy who lived there. There's even a story that he fell in love with one of the daughters. I'm naming this statue "Beethoven meets Stalin" or "Beethoven: Communist Style":


I don't know what kind of tree this is, but it was really cool--I think all those little stump-like things are roots or something:


Another bit of tree fun...I'm not sure what is going on with this tree here:


Totem Pole:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dig the totem pole.

Anonymous said...

My bad -- that comment was mine.

howelltree said...

It doesn't look too crowded at the palace either. It looks like a beautiful day. Are most days sunny like that? Is it still pretty warm, I notice you are in short sleeves?

Ashley said...

Kristen--yeah, there weren't too many people there...mostly families on picnics. The weather has been great the last few weeks--I usually just carry a light sweater. I'm afraid it's going to get cold soon, though!

Mom said...

great pictures...you could be a professional photographer and publish a book on "out of the way and unusual" shots?