Sunday, November 18, 2007

Ireland--Hiking in Wicklow Mountains

While in Ireland, we went to Glendalough in the Wicklow Mountains--it was absolutely beautiful! The bus dropped us off at an some old monastic ruins, and from there there are tons of hikes to take around these 2 lakes. We had a great time. We chose the most rigorous hike, but ended up turning around early because the weather was getting very cold, rainy, and windy, and people who looked much more prepared (not to mention in shape) than us were turning around. Also, we didn't want to run out of time--true to form, we had taken a wrong turn early on in the trail, only correcting ourselves at the point where we ended up losing about an hour. I think I found my equal when it comes to getting lost! All in all, Glendalough was awesome and I am so glad I followed the recommendation of a good friend who suggested going there.

Here are some of my Glendalough pictures:






We found this dark and scary path after we'd taken the wrong turn--


It probably wasn't the best idea to choose this hike when we didn't have any of the things it said we needed (hiking boots, compass, map, raingear)

The trail:


Top of the mountain:


Glendalough:



Self-timer shot:

1 comment:

howelltree said...

It looks so beautiful there. You took some wonderful pictures, although I must say that your timer shots from previous trips were a lot more clear than some of these that your friend/other people took :) But I'm sure it was nice to not have to be limited to shots where you had to find a place to put your camera, then run to make it in the picture.

You are having such neat experiences over there. I'm glad you're taking advantage of your opportunity.