Saturday, September 22, 2007

Pros and Cons of Traveling Alone

After traveling alone quite a bit over the past year--be it by plane, car, train, bus, or ferry--I've compiled in my head some of the pros and cons of traveling alone, and I thought I'd try to put them down here. I feel like I should note that I realize that, depending on how you look at it, many of the pros could be cons and the cons could be pros.

PROS:
  • You go where you want to go
  • You do things when you want to do them
  • You talk to and meet lots of interesting people that you probably wouldn't meet if you weren't alone (this may be the biggest pro)---In Vienna and Croatia I met really cool people everywhere I went...locals, Americans, Koreans, Japanese, Israelis, Canadians...
  • You never have to carry anybody else's stuff
  • You learn to do lots of things that you may have otherwise relied on others to do, such as:
    • read maps (never been a strong point of mine) and schedules
    • rent a car
    • buy train, bus, plane tickets
    • be in the right place at the right time--not necessarily true when it comes to ferries :)
    • use public transportation
    • get out of tough spots and just generally figure stuff out
  • You get good at spotting great places to set your camera to get a timer shot
  • You learn a lot about yourself--how you react in situations when no one else is around to see your reaction, for example
CONS:
  • You have to make all the decisions alone
  • You end up with lots of people-less pictures and extreme close-ups (product of the extended-arm-shot)
  • You can't share the cost of a hotel room
  • It's not very fun to go to a restaurant alone
  • There are so many moments that can't be captured and you want to share with someone else--it's kind of sad when you have no one to share the memory with
  • There are some things you just can't do because it's not very safe, like going out when it's dark or hiking in more remote areas...this is obviously more of a concern for girls
  • Sometimes you just need someone to talk to who you know you can trust
Anyway, this is just the start of a list--there are lots of other things that could go on here as well. I tried to keep the lists pretty even because I don't mean this to be a biased post one way or the other. If you've ever traveled alone, I'd love to hear your additions to the list :)

2 comments:

Mom said...

This is Dad, again, using Mom's I.D. I think there is one more "con" when traveling alone that you overlooked: There is nobody to hold your umbrella during the deluge while you frantically search your pockets for loose change to use the WC!

howelltree said...

Yeah, map reading can be pretty tough alone. I am completely with you on that one...just ask Ryan. Trying to get back to Provo from San Diego and then finding that you were pretty much heading into Mexico is a real problem :)