Crowded took on a new meaning for me last Saturday. After moving into my apartment (more details to come), I needed to get some things ASAP--bedding, towels, etc.--and a Hungarian girl at the hostel told me that the best place to go was IKEA. Apparently everyone thinks it is the best place to go. I don't know how it is in the U.S., but the whole store is one-way. Yes, there are arrows on the floor the whole way through the huge store, and if you forgot to pick up something you already passed (or, in my case, didn't realize that you passed it) .... good luck swimming up stream through the store!
An hour and a half after arriving, I finally had everything I needed (and probably some things I didn't need). I then proceeded to find--or rather, be engulfed by--the check-out line. After waiting for over 45 minutes in the line/mob, I then had to buy my own bag for $1. I realize that it is only $1 and that now I am the owner of a fairly cool oversized blue and yellow burlap IKEA bag, but after waiting in line for so long, I wasn't in the mood to buy my own bag, as if they were doing me a favor by letting me buy their products.
I also found it interesting how IKEA did the Costco snack-bar thing. They were even selling the same things--hot dogs, pizza, ice cream...
However, other than the crowds and buying my own bag, I thought IKEA was awesome and would recommend it, especially to students.
8 comments:
There has been an IKEA in San Francisco for quite a while, but dad said he has seen one off the freeway in Utah. That will be a hit, especially for students. If we come to visit, we'll bring extra walmart bags! Happy Shopping!
I think the IKEA in Utah is in Draper...or somewhere in that area, and it opened earlier this year. I'd sure like to go when we are over there next time. You'll have to post pictures of what you bought. I'm so glad you are blogging. That means I need to really step-up my game on my own blog.
Ha ha I just noticed, you changed the spelling of your blog name on top. Awesome. I heart IKEA too, although I have never seen lines quite THAT long before. Surprisingly there is not one in my city but I do try to visit the Tucson one whenever I'm there.
Btw, how surpring that you actually took pics of so many people while in line. I'm guessing you tried to be discreet since I doubt you were like "Hey, everybody! Let me take your picture to post on my American blog!" although I haven't seen you for a while, maybe that's just what you did.
surprising, I mean. I'm just trying to keep your comment count up.
Hi Ashley! I can't believe you never went to IKEA in DC. There is one in Philadelphia that we go to. My dresser, table and chairs, tv stand, and coffee table all came from IKEA as well as a few other gadgets. Fun place when it isn't crowded. -Amy
Just did my first 'acid-drop' into IKEA last week. In-freakin-tense I say. Quite overwhelmed by the odd set-up and lazy river of people herding in one globular mass towards who-knows-where. Got the couch cover and got the heck out. Gonna catch my breath and go in again next week.
Post a Comment