On Wednesday morning in Dubrovnik there wasn't a cloud in the sky. I decided to try Ferry Excursion #2 and hoped to be successful this time. I chose an island called Lopud about 50 minutes away that is famous because it has all sandy beaches, whereas most beaches in Croatia are rocky. The ferry ride out was great, but I noticed that clouds were starting to blow in. Within 10 minutes of arriving at Lopud, it started pouring rain--I had no umbrella or poncho and there wasn't one for sale anywhere, so I ducked into a little cafe and drank hot chocolate--well, more accurately, hot NesQuik--while waiting it out. After it let up, the sky continued to look threatening, so I went and got on the next ferry back. It rained like crazy the whole way back, and when I got off the ferry in Dubrovnik it was still pouring. I sprinted from the ferry to the nearest overhang across the street, managing to get soaked to the bone! After the rain let up again, my first stop was back to the bus station to get my bags (which I had left in the station storage earlier that morning) and get dry. I guess I'm just not meant to go on ferry trips! The rain made it interesting, anyway!
"Pirates of the Adriatic":

Approaching Lopud...weather still looking okay:

Lopud island after a 40 minutes downpour (first rain of the summer); you can see the sandy beaches, at least:


Streets of Dubrovnik after the second downpour of the day...by this point I look like I had just taken a shower with my clothes on:

Good thing I was wearing flip-flops. Crossing the street...no other choice:

Photo taken from the bus station where the electricity had gone out during the third huge down pour:
3 comments:
Wow, if we would ever got a rainstorm like that in Fallon, we'd think we'd died and gone to heaven! Actually, the streets would probably flood much worse and we'd be in the water higher than our ankles! I think you're right about ferry trips--you can expect some sort of adventure on them, that's for sure!
Those sandals look strangely familiar.....
Hopefully it wasn't cold too. This is why you titled your blog "adventures..." I love it!
Post a Comment