Friday, September 21, 2007

Zadar

Zadar, a larger town in Northern Dalmatia, was beautiful. I arrived around 6:30 p.m. and was treated to a wonderful sunset over the Adriatic. At night, entering the old city on the end of a little peninsula, the entire city seemed to glow in the street lights. In the city squares there were lots of people gathered to hear music. Interestingly, I didn't meet any other native speakers in Zadar. I loved that the town didn't seem to revolve around tourism. I stayed overnight in the Youth Hostel in Zadar, spent the next morning poking around the city, then spent the afternoon on a ferry to a not-so-nearby island.

View of Zadar from a hill:














Entry to the old city:














Old Roman Ruins (love the care they use to protect them!):














Sunset over the Adriatic Sea:














Adriatic Sea with islands in the background:














Sea organ--the water coming in and out made a constant organ sound!:














View of the city and the sea from on top of the church tower:














Performers in the city square at night:

3 comments:

Mom said...

Ashes--This is Dad using Mom's acct. Don't you know by now that we share everything except our tooth brushes? What a great picture of the sunset! It looks professional. Wish we could have been there to enjoy all the excitement...especially the ferry ride that went awry.

howelltree said...

Yeah, I love the way they take care of the old Roman ruins. That will keep people out for sure! Beautiful pictures sis!

Anonymous said...

hey sweety Iam from Zadar but i am living now in zagreb... I whas :_( cry and :-)) Smile about the text and the pict...I realy miss my small town...if you ever will comme back to Zadar let me now i will drive you around the with a boat so you dont miss the ferry...btw. the sunrise from zadar is the best and the romanticly anywhere...have a nice day... sandi.muratagic@gmail.com